WhatsNew for Star Chess 2.1.0
This file contains the version history for Star Chess. Please refer to the ReadMe file for general information. Entries link to weblog posts with further details where available.
Version 2.1.0 (released 2020-04-20)
Complete rewrite of Star Chess GUI in Java Swing to avoid dependency on stand-alone JavaFX distribution as of Java SE 11. No functional changes except as noted below. See announcement for more information.
- Updated project to Java SE 10.0.2 but lowered requirement to Java SE 8.
- ReadMe & Source: Updated links & licenses for embedded fonts.
- Added startup flag
LAF=… to allow selection of a Java Swing Look & Feel. The default is Nimbus, the only other tested L&F is Metal.
- Main Menu: You can now hover the mouse pointer over menu commands to see a brief description, just as with buttons and data view symbols.
- Data View: Command List: You can now select one or more commands with the mouse and press Ctrl+C to copy their chess-like save game notation to the clipboard.
- Source: Fixed stylistic issues detected by IntelliJ IDEA.
- Source: Overrode
Command.toString to call
Version 2.0.5 (released 2018-02-04)
See Moving Projects to Java 9 for more information.
- Updated to Java SE 9.0.4.
- ReadMe: Removed notes on Java and JavaFX issues which appear to be obsolete as of Java SE 9.
- Source: Changed project from NetBeans to IntelliJ IDEA.
- Source: Fixed minor issues detected by IntelliJ IDEA.
Version 2.0.4 (released 2016-05-01)
See Diagrammer Fixes & Samples for related project updates.
Version 2.0.3 (released 2016-04-17)
- Updated to Java SE 8 Update 77.
- Fixed empty context menu after Command menu was opened, and vice versa.
- Fixed File: Exit having no effect (closing the application window worked).
- ReadMe: Added link to latest post on JavaFX startup switches.
- Help: Tweaked formatting (no content changes).
- Source: Added JavaFX startup switch to force software rendering when run from NetBeans.
- Source: Fixed constant naming and several other NetBeans inspector complaints.
Version 2.0.2 (released 2015-10-30)
- Updated to Java SE 8 Update 66.
- Attempted fix of empty context menu that was incorrect (see 2.0.3).
- Removed manual DPI scaling which is unnecessary as of Java SE 8u60…
- ReadMe: …but requires startup workaround on Windows at 120 DPI (125%).
- Help: Removed erroneously included help files from JAR file, slightly reducing its size.
- Javadoc: Added package information to all source code packages.
Version 2.0.1 (released 2015-03-18)
- Updated to Java SE 8 Update 40.
- Replaced dialog.Message… classes with new Alert dialogs.
- Help: Changed table of contents from obsolete frame set to dynamic loading with jQuery.
Version 2.0.0 (released 2014-05-16)
Complete rewrite in Java 8 with JavaFX user interface.
Version 1.2.5 (released 2001-04-03)
- Added support for Windows desktop schemes
- Various minor interface improvements
- Binary package: Added support for Pentium 4
- Revised window sizing & positioning
- (Updates to obsolete C code)
Version 1.2.4 (released 2001-03-10)
- Improved font selection on Windows 95/NT4
Version 1.2.3 (released 2001-03-08)
- (Updates to obsolete C code only)
Version 1.2.2 (released 2001-03-07)
- Added contextual help for menus & dialogs
- About Star Chess: Added website & email hyperlinks
- Source package: Listed required Platform SDK
- (Updates to obsolete C code)
Version 1.2.1 (released 2001-02-21)
- Fixed resource allocation issues (FrameProc)
- Fixed bReset usage comment (GameNew)
- Automatically start next computer player (GameReplay)
- Fixed colony destruction bug (TurnShips)
- Source package: Added Foldview directions
Version 1.2.0 (released 2001-02-20)
Complete rewrite in C with Win32 user interface.
- Source code available as ZIP archive
- Source code extensively commented & tagged for Foldview
- Added custom application icon
- Changed dialog font to Tahoma & status bar to default font
- Skipping dead players works now (CompTurn)…
- …but has been made optional (see PDF documentation)
- Fixed data view colors on Windows 2000
- Fixed font for tab titles (CreateTabCtrl)
- About Star Chess: Added performance counter
- Prediction tree depth defaults to 3 (PrefRead)
- Fixed replay bug if P1 is computer (GameReplay)
Version 1.1.2 (released 1999-08-27)
- (Updates to obsolete Fortran 90 code only)
Version 1.1.1 (released 1999-08-19)
- Fixed incorrect planet type (msgTerraform)
- Autostart P1 if played by computer (GameNew)
- Fixed automatic window resizing (WinMain)
Version 1.1.0 (released 1999-08-17)
- Added presets
- Added basic scores b(p), b(q) (EvalPlayers)
- Subtracted 2*b(q) for b(q)>b(p) (EvalPlayers)
- Fixed negative support capacity (CalcPlayer)
- Fixed negative fleet size (CheckSupport)
Version 1.0.1 (released 1999-08-07)
- Ignore third version digit (GameLoad)
- (Updates to obsolete Fortran 90 code)
Version 1.0.0 (released 1999-07-27)
Initial release written in Fortran 90.